Vegan Diet for Blood Sugar Control
ObjectiveDoes a vegan diet improve glycemic response?
DescriptionProtein content in the diet affect may affect glycemic response. This is interesting to Type 2 diabetics as well as anyone concerned about his or her blood sugar levels. In this study, we look at whether a short-term vegan diet has an effect on glycemic response in normal and diabetic people.
This is a 4 day study.
- On Day 1, track your blood glucose level and food as normal.
- On Days 2-4, replace all animal protein calories in your diet with equal calories from nuts, almonds legume or beans (do not add - bread, sugar or sweets to your diets) and measure your blood sugar levels regularly.
Before you join please read the summary to fully understand the experiment.
Inclusion CriteriaThis study is open to all (diabetics and non-diabetics)
Exclusion CriteriaAll Diabetic Type 2 participants need to consult their physician before starting 3 Vegan days.
- Take the participant questionnaire
- On Day 1 (normal diet), make no lifestyle changes and enter your fasting glucose level using the Glucose Tracker on Genomera
- During Days 2-4 (vegan diet), replace animal protein calories with equal calories from nuts, almonds legume or beans (do not add - bread, sugar or sweets). Make sure calories are equal. You may want to write down what you eat to make sure.
- Track your fasting glucose levels each morning using Glucose Tracker
drdelorenzo joined as a discussion participant.
rmurray221 joined as a discussion participant.
chukwumaonyeije joined as a data participant.
PaulCapestany joined as a data participant.
SydneyBennet joined as a discussion participant.
DinaRalt added the "Glucose Tracker" instrument to this study.
EriGentry updated the status of this study to be "In Progress."
EriGentry What type of glucose monitor do you use?
DinaRalt We are running the experiment with diabetes because it is easy to measure the sugar effect, however vegetarians have lower risk for many ailments e.g. symptomatic Diverticular Disease http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3139912/?tool=pubmed
jzempel joined as a discussion participant.
DinaRalt Is it possible that Bill Clinton had heard of our study? :) http://edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/08/18/bill.clinton.diet.vegan/
DinaRalt Dear visitor...we are almost there with our study, we are waiting for the final instrument - the glucose tracker. If you feel like writing about yourself, it will be nice if you could let us know how you have heard about the study and what do you expect?
DinaRalt I guess you are right Greg, but I wanted to post a general title as it is healthful to all of us. People like to experiment with friends and this title might open collaborations with friends who are non-diabetic. What do you think?
DinaRalt joined as a data participant
gbiggers Great study idea, Dina. We would love to help you, even with the communication and design. I might suggest changing the title to 'Veganism for Type 2 Diabetes' 'Vegan diet for glycemic control.'
gbiggers joined as a discussion participant
melanie joined as a data participant
EriGentry joined as a data participant